When you are performing maintenance on a Windows-based PC, you always want to have a set of tools that will help you acheive the goal that you have in mind; however, sometimes the case may be that prior to diagnosing the Windows PC you are about to work on, you do not know what tools you will need to fix the obstacle course in front of you. With this in mind, I would like to bring your attention to a software CD that has always helped me in times of trial, and it has acted as a Swiss army knife-like tool for the computing world. This CD that I am referring to is called Hiren’s Boot CD.
This quality CD (available from Hiren & Pankaj‘s website) offers many tools for any troubleshooting scenario that you can think of. For this edition of WindowsDailyNews, I would like to bring your attention to some of the most commonly used tools that I employ when I need to utilize Hiren’s Boot CD, and I have provided a list of these tools below so that you can get a snapshot of how useful this CD is.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware – An anti-malware application that can thoroughly remove even the most advanced malware.
- Spybot – Search & Destroy – An application to scan for spyware, adware, hijackers and other malicious software.
- Drive SnapShot – Creates an exact Disk Image of your system into a file while Windows is running.
- Raw Copy – A useful tool to transfer the data directly from a faulty drive to another drive, and built-in data recovery function that will also attempt to recover data from bad sectors.
- Notepad ++ – A text editor and source code editor that supports unicode files, regular expression find and replace (also in files), tabbed editing, syntax highlighting, and drag and drop.
- Picture Viewer – A picture viewer program for DOS — supports more than 40 file types.
- PuTTY – A free and open source terminal emulator application which can act as a client for SSH and Telnet.
- WinSCP – A free and open source SFTP/FTP client to secure file transfers between a local and remote computer.
- Offline NT Password Changer – A utility to reset/unlock Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7 administrator and user passwords.
- PasswordFox – Allows you to view the user names and passwords stored by Mozilla Firefox.
Editors / Viewers:
A full and up-to-date list of the tools that are included on Hiren’s Boot CD can be viewed here. Visit Hiren & Pankaj‘s website for more information on how to acquire this quality CD. In some situations, you may also want to have the Hiren’s BootCD From USB Flash Drive handy as well.